The Energy Healing Site is a unique, free resource. It takes me (Nancy) many hours each week to sustain and expand it. If it is valuable to you, please consider supporting it with a donation.
How To Not Take On
Your Client's Energy
A Basic Skill for Energy Healers
When we're doing an energy healing, we should NOT be taking on the energy of the people we're working with.
But sometimes, even with experienced healers, it happens. Maybe your body starts to hurt, or you leave the session with your client's headache, or you take on their emotions. It can happen in lots of ways. Occasionally I'll have a sneezing fit when a client is releasing energy. I know it's time for some disentangling techniques when that happens!
How To Not Take On Your Client's Energy
It's important for an energy healer to know how to separate her/his energy from his client's. (It can come in handy with friends and family, too.) Here are some techniques you can try.
(Note: It's best not to let your client know that you've taken on some of their energy. They tend to get concerned, when there's no need to be. So do the techniques without mentioning what you're doing.)
- Set an intention to keep your energies distinct.
- Do the Donna Eden "Zip Up" Technique. Place your hand or hands at the bottom of the central meridian (at the top of the pubic bone). Holding the intention to keep your energy distinct, take a deep breath and simultaneously move your hand/hands up the centerline of your body, to your lower lip. You can do this with your hand/s on your physical body, or a few inches away from it. Repeat three times.
- Offer the healing to a higher power.
- Silently reaffirm your intention to keep energies distinct.
- Silently reground.
- Stay grounded in empathy. Don't let yourself slip into sympathy. Keep your attention on the potential for healing, not the problem.
- If you feel energy building up on your hands, shake them off.
- Expand and reinforce your field.
- Send your energy to a stone or crystal such as hematite, that you keep in your treatment room for that purpose.
- Send excess energy to a live plant that you keep in your room for that purpose. (Take very good care of that plant! It's your healing partner!)
- Focus on your own breath for a moment.
- Feel your own feet, the feel of your shoes and socks, the pressure on your soles from standing, etc.
- Offer the session and the energy to the divine.
- Wash your hands and forearms in cold water.
- Once you're alone, recite facts about yourself. (My name is Nancy. My eyes are brown. My dog's name is Buddy.)
- Call light to yourself and expand your field.
- Run energy vigorously up through your grounding cords (or roots), through your shoulders and arms and out your hands and fingers (or wherever you feel the impact.) This is a Laura Alden Kamm technique.
Remember, it's not good for anyone when your energies get mingled with your client's. It happens to everyone sometimes, so don't feel bad if it does -- but do take care of it right away.
More Energy Healing Basics
Learn some of the core principles of energy healing.
Learn about the human energy field.
Preparing for Doing Energy Work
Go into an energy healing session in as elevated a state as you can.
Learn some of the most basic techniques of energy work.
Healer Self Care
When you become an energy healer, and/or if you are energetically sensitive, you have to take special care of yourself, both when you are doing energy work and in your daily life.
Energy healers have a special ethical responsibilities to their clients.
More resources for learning energy healing.
Go from How to Not Take on Your Clients Energy to Energy Healer Basics main page
Go to site home page .