The Energy Healing Site is a unique, free resource. It takes me (Nancy) many hours each week to sustain and expand it. If it is valuable to you, please consider supporting it with a donation.
Be Calmer And Clearer With This
Foundational Energy Healing Technique
Centering is a foundational skill for energy work. It’s simply focusing your energies and bringing yourself into the present. Another way of saying it is that it’s bringing your awareness back to your own body.
Often our minds, emotions, and energies are all over the place. We’re literally scattered. Our thoughts are on that weird thing the boss said at work yesterday, our hearts are with a loved one who’s having trouble, and parts of our energy are stuck in the past, perhaps still traumatized by that year when we were four and our mother was too ill to take care of us properly.
Centering brings you—all of you—back to yourself, in the here and now. It helps in doing most things, but especially in doing energy work. After all, if there’s more of you present, you have more to work with!
Here’s one way to do it.
How To Center
- Sit comfortably somewhere where you won’t be disturbed. Sit tall.
- Put your fingertips together with the fingertips of the other hand, holding them lightly together in a position of comfort.
- Breathe deeply.
- As you breathe in, breathe in peace. As you breathe out, breathe out tension, worry and anything that doesn’t serve you right now, at this exact moment. Quiet your mind, letting go of thoughts.
- Now, as you breathe in, imagine/feel that you are pulling the scattered parts of you back home to yourself with your breath.
- Without thinking about it or trying, feel your energy being pulled back to you, back from all the places it has been scattered and fractured during the day.
- With each breath, feel your energy becoming more whole. Feel it becoming more coherent. See or feel it coming back together, into wholeness, as if you are rewinding a movie of a pot or jar breaking.
- When you are ready, feel your energy, your essence, beginning to form a slight focus at the midpoint of your chest, your forehead or anywhere else that feels natural and good.
- When it feels right, open your eyes and come back to the present place and time.
Of course, there are many ways to "re-assemble your energy." Just taking a few deep breaths can help. Meditation is also a powerful discipline for teaching yourself how to get and stay focused.
No matter how you do it, it feels great. Your breathing deepens and slows down, so that you’re getting more oxygen in your system. You feel calm and stable. Your mind clears and your energy becomes more coherent and orderly. It’s healing for body, mind and energy.
This a great way to go into a session with someone, so I strongly I recommend that healers do a process of some sort as part of their preparation before every client.
Go from Centering to Energy Healing Basics main page
Go to site home page.
Image in public domain via Wikimedia Commons