The Third Eye Chakra
Expand Intellect, Intuition, and Spiritual Insight Through Sixth-Chakra Exercises
Skip directly to techniques for Third Eye chakra clearing.
Extraordinary intellect, intuition, wisdom, and spiritual insight are available to everyone -- but few of us even begin to tap our profound potential. Clearing and balancing your Third Eye chakra can help you tap into these vast capacities.
The sixth of the seven chakras, the Third Eye is also called the brow chakra, or Ajna in Sankrit. It governs our intellectual and intuitive abilities and our potential for spiritual awareness.
Cultivating your 6th chakra can help you
- think more clearly
- have "vision"
- develop your imagination
- grasp the big picture
- expand your consciousness and influence to non-ordinary planes
- develop greater spiritual awareness and prepare for the next level of spiritual evolution.
You don't have to be an energy healer to work energetically with your 6th chakra. Read on to learn 10 down-to-earth, satisfying ways that you can support and cultivate your brow chakra. But first:
What Are the Chakras?
Chakras are organs of our energy body. They act as energy portals, exchanging energy (e.g. prana, chi) with the rest of the cosmos. Existing simultaneously in different dimensions, they receive, assimilate and transmit life energies.
There are seven primary chakras, located along the center line of the body, from the bottom of the spine to the top of the head. Each chakra is associated with different glands, organs, body areas, and elements of our life, personality, and spiritual development.
The chakras are critical to our physical health, the quality of our life, and our ability to develop spiritually.
For more information about chakras, you can go to the Chakras main page.
The Healthy Chakra
A healthy chakra is open, allowing energy to flow freely both horizontally, in an exchange of energy with the universe, and vertically, connecting it with the other chakras.
It's very common to have one or more chakras that is blocked or out of balance to some degree. This can cause disruptions in a person’s body, mind, spirit, and life. These disruptions can range from a sense of unwellness and unease, to more serious problems--actual dis-ease in one's body, dysfunction in one's life, and obstacles to spiritual development.
(To learn more about chakra blockages, go here.)
What is the Third Eye Chakra?
The third eye, or brow, chakra is located in the forehead, between and slightly above the eyebrows. Its keywords are "insight," "intellect," and "intuition." Its associated color is indigo, and its element is light.
The Sanskrit name of the sixth chakra is Ajna, meaning "command" or "perception." The chakra of mind, Ajna helps us think clearly.
It also helps us see clearly, both physically and psychically. It supports imagination, awareness of the subtle/energetic world, intuitive knowing, and inner vision. When you see something "with your mind's eye," you are seeing it with the Ajna chakra.
Sixth-chakra intuition and wisdom are universal and transcendent in nature. The 6th chakra, when highly developed, elevates consciousness and confers deep spiritual insight and awareness. Perception of non-ordinary reality may accompany this.
The third eye chakra is a main point for external life energy (prana, chi) to enter and be distributed to the other chakras. It is also a key to ongoing spiritual development. Thus, keeping it as clear and balanced as possible is very important.
Is Your Third Eye Chakra Healthy?
Someone with a clear, balanced, and developed brow chakra usually has a keen intellect balanced with strong intuitive abilities. This might be summed up as "wisdom." They often have a good imagination and can visualize things easily. A strong sixth chakra often confers the ability to "grasp the big picture," as well as that prized but elusive thing called "vision." When the sixth chakra is highly developed, a person will have expanded spiritual awareness and insight, and may be able to perceive and influence non-ordinary planes. Words that might be used to describe a person with a strong, healthy, balanced, clear third eye chakra would include intelligent, intuitive, clear, wise, insightful, and spiritually aware.
10 Ways to Clear and Balance Your Third Eye Chakra
So you'd like more clarity, insight, wisdom, intuition, and spiritual awareness? Here are ten ideas for clearing and balancing your Third Eye chakra, helping you achieve these sacred intentions:
- Ask the universe a question, then patiently wait and watch for the answer. Be prepared to wait from seconds to days, and to have the answer come from within or without.
- Keep a dream journal.
- Imagine your head as a balloon. Allow it to float to an upright position, positioning your ears directly over your shoulders. Do this often to train yourself to maintain good spinal alignment.
- Meditate, focusing your attention in the center of your head at the level of (or slightly above) the eyebrows.
- Wear or decorate a room in a shade of indigo (deep blue) that is pleasing to you. Allow it to remind you of your intention to develop your third eye.
- Use the brow chakra essential oils of jasmine or vanilla. (Don't apply directly to skin.)
- Close your eyes. Systematically relax all the external muscles around your eyes. Then soften the internal eye muscles, feeling the relaxation penetrate deep into your head. Rest like this for a while. Notice any images that arise in your mind's eye.
- Draw or do another art form that requires close observation and concentration.
- Go star-gazing.
- Repeat an affirmation such as:
- "My mind is clear and agile."
- "I have keen insight and intuition."
- "I see clearly both in the physical and subtle worlds."
- "I see and understand the "big picture.""
- "My intellect is a powerful tool for good."
- "I envision and create beauty and goodness."
- "I am open to experiencing non-ordinary reality."
- "My imagination is vivid and powerful."
- "I am open to the wisdom within me."
- "I am open to greater and greater spiritual awareness."
Remember, when working with your subtle energy, intention matters! Before doing any of the activities above, set your intention. For example, you might set and hold a general intention for Third Eye chakra healing, or a more specific goal of opening to awareness of non-ordinary reality.
Just make your purpose clear, perform the activity mindfully, and as you're doing it, occasionally take a moment to silently affirm that your actions are creating your intention. Using any of the activities above in conjunction with an affirmation is especially effective.
Seek Professional Help If
Remember, these suggestions are not meant to replace qualified professional health care. If you have any concerns about your physical or mental health, seek the help of a qualified medical or mental health professional.
A Third Eye Chakra Blessing
May your wisdom serve others. May your insight bring you new levels of spiritual awareness. May you understand your true nature. May you see clearly in every way.
More About Healing the Chakras
Learn more about healing the chakras here
More Information About Chakras
For additional general information about chakras, you can go to the Chakras main page.
For more specific information about individual chakras, go to the Chakra Chart page.
Learn More About The Individual Chakras and How to Clear Them
If you are interested in in-depth information about each of the other 7 chakras and how to clear and cultivate them, here are the links:
Learn how to clear and balance your root chakra (1st) and gain an unshakeable sense of security.
Learn how to clear and balance your sacral chakra and open to joy.
Discover specific ways to clear and balance your solar plexus chakra and unlock your personal power.
Learn specific ways to clear and balance your heart chakra and open to the love that is all around you.
Learn specific ways to clear and balance your 5th chakra, helping you to live and speak your truth.
Learn to cultivate your crown chakra (seventh), helping you develop your capacities for spiritual growth.
Go from Third Eye Chakra to Chakras main page.
Go to site home page .