Clearing Your Heart Chakra, Opening to Love
Skip directly to techniques for heart chakra clearing.
Is there a relationship in your life that you're having trouble with? Are you lonely, or do you have a hard time connecting to others in a meaningful way? Do you have an emotional wound that won't heal? Is there someone (including yourself) you'd like to forgive? Are you on a path of spiritual growth? Would you like to rise to a higher level of compassion and non-judgment for others?
If any of this resonates with you, it might be helpful to learn some ways to clear and balance your heart chakra.
The fourth of the seven chakras, it's also called Anahata in Sankrit. It governs our ability to love unconditionally and to heal. Clearing and balancing your fourth chakra can help you
- grow spiritually
- dissolve the myth of separateness
- heal emotionally and physically
- forgive yourself and others
- connect deeply to others
- open your heart to the universal love that always surrounds you
- open your heart to human love and have healthy relationships
- rise above anger, hatred, and jealousy, and rise to a higher state of consciousness.
- experience deep inner balance and peace.
You don't have to be a trained energy healer to heal your 4th chakra. Read on to learn 10 down-to-earth, satisfying ways that you can clear your heart chakra. But first:
What Are the Chakras?
Chakras are organs of our energy body. They act as energy portals, exchanging energy with the rest of the cosmos.
There are seven primary chakras, located along the center line of the upper body, from the bottom of the spine to the top of the head. Each chakra is associated with different glands, organs, body areas, and elements of our life, personality, and spiritual development.
The chakras are critical to our physical health, the quality of our life, and our ability to develop spiritually.
The Healthy Chakra
A healthy chakra is open, allowing energy to flow freely both horizontally, in an exchange of energy with the universe, and vertically, connecting it with the other chakras.
It's very common to have one or more chakras that is blocked or out of balance to some degree. This can cause disruptions in a person’s body, mind, spirit, and life. These disruptions can range from a sense of unwellness and unease, to more serious problems--actual dis-ease in one's body, dysfunction in one's life, and obstacles to spiritual development. (To learn more about chakra blockages, go here.)
What is the Heart Chakra?
The Anahata chakra is located in the center of the chest at heart level. Its keywords are "unconditional love," "healing," and "connection." It relates to compassion, healing, divine love, self-love and relationships. Its associated color is green, and its element is air.
Situated at the middle of the chakra system, the fourth chakra integrates the upper and lower chakras, unifying physical and spiritual energies, body and spirit. With the fourth chakra, we start to move beyond the focus on the separate self, toward a focus on relationship and connection. At the fourth chakra, we start to reach for the heavens.
A clear, balanced heart chakra is essential to ongoing spiritual growth. While it supports healthy relationships on an earthly level, on a spiritual level it dissolves the myth of separateness and brings integration and wholeness to our entire being. The love of the fourth chakra is divine love, love as a state of being, and it brings with it a deep sense of inner peace.
Is Your Fourth Chakra Healthy?
Someone with a healthy fourth chakra is usually compassionate, able to love deeply, and has a sense of emotional fulfillment. In relationships, they are usually capable of deep intimacy while maintaining healthy personal boundaries. They are kind, forgiving, trusting, and nonjudgmental. They may radiate peace. Often they have a strong connection to nature. Whatever their profession, they act as a healing presence.
They may have healthy lungs, heart, respiratory & cardiac systems, thymus gland, arms, and hands.
Here you can find a test to give you an idea how open or closed each of your chakras is, and how they balance relative to each other.
10 Ways to Clear and Balance Your Heart Chakra
If you feel you'd benefit from clearing your heart chakra, there are many practical, every-day things that you can do. Here are ten ideas:
- Get out in nature. Take a hike or meditate outdoors. Be deeply aware of the birds.
- Spend time with small children or your animal companions. Get down on their level. Follow their lead. (As a dog lover, I think that most dogs have a lot to teach us about unconditional love and can be great models for opening our heart chakra.)
- Do your best to forgive someone. Just let it go. Then make a list of everyone you can think of who loves you or has loved you--living or dead. Love is always current, always present, even when a relationship has "ended" or a person has died. Let the love sink in. Try to keep the awareness of being loved in the forefront of your heart all day, like a warm glow.
- Perform an anonymous "random act of kindness" every day for a week. Notice how it makes you feel.
- Declare a "gratitude day." Spend the whole day noticing everything that you have to be grateful for. If you find yourself slipping into any attitude or frame of mind that isn't gratitude, gently guide yourself back. In your journal, write down your "gratitudes." Express thanks and appreciation to as many people as you can. Go to sleep grateful.
- Reconnect with an old, dear friend. Let them know what they've meant to you.
- Volunteer at a food bank or homeless shelter. Withhold judgment; try to learn something from and see the divine spark within everyone you seek to help.
- Use the heart chakra essential oils of rose, geranium, neroli, melissa, sandalwood, chamomile, ylang ylang or jasmine.
- Wear or decorate a room in a shade of green or pink that feels pleasing and healing to you.
- Create and repeat an affirmation such as:
- "I am loved."
- "I forgive naturally and easily."
- "It is my nature to love."
- "I welcome the differences of others."
- "My heart is full."
- "I see evidence of love all around me."
- "I am open to love."
- "I give and receive love freely."
- "It is my nature to heal."
- "Love is everywhere."
- "I forgive myself."
- "I am at peace."
- "I have so much to be grateful for."
- "The love that I give comes back to me many times over."
- "I am connected to everything in the universe."
Remember, when working with your subtle energy, intention matters! Before doing any of the activities above, set your intention. For example, you might set and hold a general intention for heart chakra healing, or a more specific goal of forgiving someone, healing from an emotional wound, developing compassion, dissolving separation, etc.
Just make your purpose clear, perform the activity mindfully, and as you're doing it, occasionally take a moment to silently affirm that your actions are creating your intention. Using any of the activities above in conjunction with an affirmation is especially effective.
Seek Professional Help If
Remember, these suggestions are not meant to replace qualified professional health care. If you have any concerns about your physical or mental health, seek the help of a qualified medical or mental health professional.
A Heart Chakra Blessing
I wish you abundant love and compassion, flowing both in to and out from you, in a never-ending, radiant stream. May you experience the sea of love in which your being floats; may you feel your essential connection to all things.
More About Healing the Chakras
Learn more about healing the chakras here
More Information About Chakras
For additional general information about chakras, you can go to the Chakras main page.
For more specific information about individual chakras, go to the Chakra Chart page.
Learn More About The Individual Chakras and How to Clear Them
If you are interested in in-depth information about each of the other 7 chakras and how to clear and cultivate them, here are the links:
Learn how to clear and balance your root chakra (1st) and gain an unshakeable sense of security.
Learn how to clear and balance your sacral chakra (2nd) and open to joy.
Discover specific ways to clear and balance your solar plexus chakra (3rd) and unlock your personal power.
Learn specific ways to clear and balance your 5th chakra (throat), helping you to live and speak your truth.
Learn to cultivate your Third Eye chakra (sixth), helping you develop your capacities for clarity, intuition, and spiritual insight.
Learn to cultivate your crown chakra (seventh), helping you develop your capacities for spiritual growth.
Go from Heart Chakra to Chakras main page.
Go to site home page .