10 Down-to-Earth Ways
Skip directly to techniques for 5th chakra clearing.
to Clear Your 5th Chakra
and Live Your Truth
Does your life reflect the fullness of who you are? Are you speaking your truth and saying the things that really need to be said? Are you hearing others' truths? Are they hearing yours? Are you fully exercising the divine spark of creativity that lives in you? Would you like to get below the surface of things, to access deeper levels of insight?
If any of this resonates with you, it might be helpful to learn some ways to open and balance your throat chakra.
The fifth of the seven chakras, it's also called Vishuddha (or Vishuddhi) in Sankrit. It governs our ability to express ourselves, to speak the truth, and to create. Clearing and balancing your fifth chakra can help you
- speak your truth
- hear and be heard on a deep level
- express yourself clearly, honestly, and eloquently
- have a rich creative life
- manifest your personal essence in the physical world
- purify for further spiritual development and access deeper levels of insight.
You don't have to be a trained energy healer to heal your 5th chakra. Read on to learn 10 down-to-earth, satisfying ways that you can open your throat chakra. But first:
What Are the Chakras?
Chakras are organs of our energy body. They act as energy portals, exchanging energy (e.g. prana, chi) with the rest of the cosmos. Existing simultaneously in different dimensions (or at levels of vibration), they receive, assimilate and transmit life energies.
There are seven primary chakras, located along the center line of the body, from the bottom of the spine to the top of the head. Each chakra is associated with different glands, organs, body areas, and elements of our life, personality, and spiritual development.
The chakras are critical to our physical health, the quality of our life, and our ability to develop spiritually.
The Healthy Chakra
A healthy chakra is open, allowing energy to flow freely both horizontally, in an exchange of energy with the universe, and vertically, connecting it with the other chakras.
It's very common to have one or more chakras that is blocked or out of balance to some degree. This can cause disruptions in a person’s body, mind, spirit, and life. These disruptions can range from a sense of unwellness and unease, to more serious problems--actual dis-ease in one's body, dysfunction in one's life, and obstacles to spiritual development. (To learn more about chakra blockages, go here.)
What is the 5th Chakra?
The Vishuddha chakra is located in the throat. Its keywords are "self-expression," "creativity," "communication," and "truth." Its associated color is sky blue, and its element is sound.
The 5th chakra, whose Sanskrit name means "Purifier," is the gateway to the chakras devoted to spirituality.
The throat chakra supports us in expressing the fullness of who we are--our fullest, most sacred truth(s). As I see it, recognizing and communicating our truths purifies us in preparation for further spiritual evolution.
The 5th chakra allows us to bring our personal essence into the physical world, expressing our unique perspective on universal truth and cosmic intelligence. It allows us to create--and in doing so, to activate and express our divine nature.
Ideally the 5th chakra unifies and metabolizes the wisdom of the sixth chakra and the compassion of the heart chakra.
Is Your 5th Chakra Healthy?
Someone with an ideally healthy fifth chakra is usually able to create a distinctive and fulfilling life for themselves. They are very in touch with themselves and what is true for them. They are good listeners as well as effective speakers and/or writers. They are known for honesty and have a knack for getting to the underlying truth of matters. They are often influential or inspirational to others. They usually have rich creative lives, and often pleasing speaking and/or singing voices. They may be musical or poetic. They will usually have healthy necks, shoulders, mouths, ears, noses, sinuses, and thyroid glands.
Here you can find a test to give you an idea how open or closed each of your chakras is, and how they balance relative to each other.
10 Ways to Clear and Balance Your 5th ChakraHere are ten ideas for throat chakra healing:
- Stand under a blue sky. Breathe the color in, feeling your throat chakra being bathed and nourished by sky blue.
- Write in your journal. After you've written about something, silently or out loud, say "And the truth is..." and then write about the same thing at a deeper level of truth. Continue this process as long as it feels fruitful.
- Sing, hum, or chant. Find a place where you won't be disturbed (and preferably with great resonance), and do it with as much authenticity as you can--with your true voice, not your voice as you think it should sound.
- Listen to someone with your whole self for five minutes; then switch and have them listen to you. Both of you should aim for complete presence, and should not comment on what the other is saying, even with facial expressions.
- Speak up about something that you've been silent about. Speak your truth! (E.g., write that letter to the editor; ask the question instead of just wondering; speak out about what you normally only mutter under your breath.)
- Create something. Display it or perform it: make sure that others besides you see or hear your creation.
- Do shoulder or neck rolls, or the yoga facial exercise known as "the lion."
- Use the throat chakra essential oils of lavender, frankincense, cypress, geranium, spruce, sandalwood, tea tree, mandarin, sage or eucalyptus. (Don't apply directly to your skin.)
- Wear a shade of light blue that feels pleasing and healing to you. A blue scarf or necklace is perfect for this.
Repeat an affirmation such as:
- "I allow the truth to speak through me."
- "I am heard."
- "Creativity flows through me."
- "It is my essence to create."
- "When I listen I hear the truth."
- "I am able to speak to others clearly and eloquently."
- "I accept and celebrate my creativity."
- "It is good, right, and safe for me to express my true essence."
- "My truth is necessary."
- "I allow my essence to express itself in my life."
Remember, when working with your subtle energy, intention matters! Before doing any of the activities above, set your intention. For example, you might set and hold a general intention for 5th chakra healing, or a more specific goal of getting help with speaking the truth, overcoming a creative block, being able to express something clearly, etc.
Just make your purpose clear, perform the activity mindfully, and as you're doing it, occasionally take a moment to silently affirm that your actions are creating your intention. Using any of the activities above in conjunction with an affirmation is especially effective.
Seek Professional Help If
Remember, these suggestions are not meant to replace qualified professional health care. If you have any concerns about your physical or mental health, seek the help of a qualified medical or mental health professional.
A 5th Chakra Blessing
May you hear and speak truth. May your life and your creations express the fullness of who you are. May you know ever deeper levels of truth.
More About Healing the Chakras
Learn more about healing the chakras here
More Information About Chakras
For additional general information about chakras, you can go to the Chakras main page.
For more specific information about individual chakras, go to the Chakra Chart page.
Learn More About The Individual Chakras and How to Clear Them
If you are interested in in-depth information about each of the 7 chakras and how to clear and cultivate them, here are the links:
Learn how to clear and balance your root chakra (1st) and gain an unshakeable sense of security.
Learn how to clear and balance your sacral chakra (second) and open to joy.
Discover specific ways to clear and balance your solar plexus chakra (third) and unlock your personal power.
Learn specific ways to clear and balance your heart chakra (fourth) and open to the love that is all around you.
Learn to cultivate your sixth chakra, helping you develop your capacities for clarity, intuition, and spiritual insight.
Learn to cultivate your seventh chakra, helping you develop your capacities for spiritual growth.
Go from 5th Chakra to Chakras main page
Go to site home page .